Exploring what it means to be human in a changing world, building community one sip at a time.
Welcome to the Transition Cafe page!
Every Friday of each month, except the fourth Friday. To get the latest information and cafe location, sign up for the https://transitionpaloalto.org/projects/local-garden-share/And to join in on conversations about cafe topics, sign up for our Google Groups mailing list.
What’s a Transition Cafe?
A Transition Cafe is a gathering of people at a local independent cafe to share ideas and experiences around a pre-announced topic. Topics have included housing, community and food, the Transition/permaculture connection, activism, reconciliation, morality and the environment, religion, and storytelling. Sometimes it’s a few people, other times it’s lots more – but it’s always a fine opportunity to learn, share, and connect.
The guidelines are simple:
- Whoever shows up are the right people.
- When it starts is the right time.
- The conversation gets to go where it wants to go.
- Pauses in conversation can be good, they allow information to sink in, thoughts to happen, and quieter people to have a chance to speak.
- If you are feel like you are neither learning nor contributing, use the “law of mobility” to find a place where you are doing so.
- Bring friends, if we overpopulate the venue, we’ll figure something else out.
- If you are able, please buy stuff from the venues. We’re trying to support local businesses!
- Anyone can host a Transition Cafe! All you need is an hour or two, an independent cafe you like, and a starting subject. Bring something to read while you wait for folks to show up (see the first point).
Come to this page at any time to see the list of upcoming Cafes.
To sign up for email about Transition Cafes and other events of interest, go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/transition-palo-alto
Pingback: Welcome to Transition! |